1971 Comet Stabber Pics

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Tlowery643, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Tlowery643

Tlowery643 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    If anyone is interested I received more info on the Comet Stabber of Rick Shumpert. Looks like it was one awesome car!!!! THANKS RICK!

Here is part of the email and pics he sent me and I will be posting more and better pics when he gets them to me. He writes:

On the wheels, they were 14X7 with 70 series tires, I went to 60 series on next set, I also had a Grant Walnut Steering wheel which was not on any other Stabbers, also Hurst T Handle shifter knob and Oil, Water & Volt Meter console, hopefully you can see all of these. On rear Quarter Panels, you will note "Spoiler 302", it had a chin spoiler similar to yours, like I said, I had the only Spoiler 302 that I knew of, and that came from Richard Pugmire who helped me with my car. I have the Original Bill of Sale and I,m going to have to find it and I,ll email that as well. You have my permission to post these pictures on the Comet/Maverick web page if you like, just let them know who it belonged to, oh yea, it was completely totaled in an accident in Ethelsville, Alabama in 1974, I sold it to a friend there. Like I said, I had a little insight on these cars due to my friendship with Richard. Rick Shumpert
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mavtricks71

mavtricks71 Member

Looks like a Blue bucket interior....very intresting car ,that would be the ultimate find now a days.

3. Tlowery643

Tlowery643 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    I agree, looked at one in 1972 when I was 16 and still wanting one!

4. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    (y)That is a very cool Comet......

5. PAINTANK

PAINTANK Cometosis Obsessivus

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr
    I would love to clone that with my Comet. It has everything I want in a Comet except Cragars.

6. Matterick

Matterick Matt Somerville

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302, 1971 Maverick
    that looks awesome! :thumbs2:

7. Tlowery643

Tlowery643 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    I agree, would love to find an original but hope to clone one myself...will post better pics and info when he gets them to me. He is in the next county over from me. Here is the other info he sent me on the car.
    I agree, would love to find an original but hope to clone one myself...will post better pics and info when he gets them to me. He is in the next county over from me. Here is the previous info he sent me on the car.

In fact, Richard Pugmire(son of Mr. Pugmire) helped me order mine special, it was a "Spoiler 302, Stabber". It had a spoiler underneath front airdam and a Hood Tachometer, ala Pontiac GTO, its the only one like it. Let me dig up some pictures and I,ll email them to you. The Side Pipes were J.C. Whitney, Johnson Tire Service(now defunct) did all the mods except electrical. Rick

8. 302mav76

302mav76 Isaac Serna

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick
    Stabber, cool name! we need bigger pics...specially close-up's of the wheels.

9. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    Larger pics:

[​IMG]

That hood tach was a very common aftermarket and even dealer installed item. Dixco and
    various manufacturers had their names on them, including FORD.

[​IMG]

I have collected pics of various GT's identified as Stabbers and Bearcats-another dealer added package. The car in your pics look like the common Bearcat wheel-the 'Prowler' made by Foresight. I have seen a 'Stabber' with all silver aluminum slots.

[​IMG]
    This is a '72 Bearcat.

[​IMG]
    Promotional postcard courtesy of Chuck Stalnaker.

[​IMG]
    Back side of postcard. Note "A" kit price. Not sure what the "A" kit included.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    '72 GT. Has the black centered aluminum slots, woodgrain steering wheel. It was originally a 3 spd. with a wood shift knob. That's gone, it's an A/T now. No sign of sidepipes or fog lamps or the 'BearCat' emblems.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  10. Tlowery643

Tlowery643 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Thanks Seth for enlarging pics, I am going to try and get larger and clearer pics from Rick to post on here. I saw these in 72 when I was 16 and until seeing the "Stabber by Pugmire" actually on the cars since then was in a Magazine article that was on here a little while back and then these pics and this car is long gone.

11. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Very cool! Thanks for the pics! (y)

12. david_h_30170

david_h_30170 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 2 door v8
    Thanks for the pictures, my Mother dated a guy for a while back in the late 70s that had a white Stabber. He lived in Newnan Ga. I thought it was an awesome looking car.

13. Tlowery643

Tlowery643 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Here are better pics and another email with info from Rick...
    Thanks Rick for all the info and pics.

Hi Tommy, hope these pictures were better, keep getting "flasbacks" from that time in 1971. I bought the car New in June 1971, ready for this?, I traded in a 1965 Mustang , 289, automatic, AC!!, and Pony Interior, CRAZY HUH!, and contrary to rumors, Pugmire did NO engine mods( we did that on our own, wish I had some of that money back ). After buying my car, got a call from Richard Pugmire, said he had worked up a deal with Atlanta Motor Speedway so that ALL his Stabber owners could go to the Summer 500 race AND we could drive our cars around the Speedway before the race, well, there were about 7-8 of us that went and when we checked in, they informed us we could NOT drive on the track due to Insurance reasons but could still see the race, which we all did( David Pearson won in the #21 Wood Brothers Mercury). We did get alot of attention and it was fun. If I have any more "flasbacks" I,ll email them to you or keep the questions coming. Oh, I worked at Coats and Clark Thread Mill in Clarkdale all through High School, did some racing out on old Hwy. 6. Rick Shumpert

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Cool Car ... I wonder what they used for the front Spoiler ... probably off a Mustang ...

15. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Now that's a great pic of the decal right there!
    Thanks again!
    [​IMG]