Fastest Street Car Maverick Update ~ New Pics, Sketch, Engine Shot

Discussion in 'Drag Racing' started by Smav347, May 11, 2009.

1. Smav347

Smav347 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Hey guys, I thought I'd share some progress pics of my Maverick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PAINTANK

PAINTANK Cometosis Obsessivus

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr
    That is an impressive car.

3. Columbus Comet

Columbus Comet Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet GT,03 Cobra,06 Wide Glide
    wow looks like it is going to be bada$$. very nice work.

4. Smav347

Smav347 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Thanks guys, I'm really excited to run some good numbers.

5. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    Sweet! consider me subscribed. Keep the updates coming.

Bad news though... That turbo says "Not for street use" therefore you must change the title of this thread. LOL

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  6. 408w-maverick

408w-maverick Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 2 door
    Wow awesome,gonna need details....Please....Pretty Please....With a Cherry on top...

7. Smav347

Smav347 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    It's going to be a 310 SBF, Trick Flow heads by Total Engine Airflow, Vortech YSi supercharger, PT2000 intercooler, EFI, Powerglide, Drag Radials.

I was originally trying to build the car for PSCA limited street, but there were certain things about the rules I didn't like so I'm probably going to run in Wild Street for the heck of it. It should run low 8s in the quarter.

8. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    Awesome car........

9. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    73 LDO, 72 Sprint, 70 Grabber.
    Looking good! (y)

10. Smav347

Smav347 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Thanks fellow Maverick dudes. BTW, have you guys ever seen Don Bowles' Roush Maverick? This thing is badass. Runs 8.80s on motor in NMCA/NMRA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mavman

mavman Member

Vehicle:
    '75 Maverick, '03 super duty, '04 Mustang Vee-six!
    Is there a trick to getting a centrifugal SC car to leave the line worth a crap? Or is that the beauty of it...leave on just enough boost to get it out there good but not so much as to blow the tires off. Every Centrifugal car I've seen has a HUGE amount of lag until it gets out a few feet and then it's like turning on a switch. The turbo cars, however, seem to move on down there....start to finish. They can build boost at the line and carry full boost from start to finish. Similar to a roots blower in that it will have full boost from start to finish.

Always wondered about the centrifugals. I know nothing about them (obviously). Only one I ever drove was my ex girlfriend's brother's 92 Mustang GT that had a Vortech kit on it with an air-water IC. Ran well but was really pretty well dead below 3000 RPM, and even then it had to be spun up to achieve full boost. Once it was up there, it ran REALLY good but if you didn't keep the revs up it was a bit lazy. Is that a characteristic of all centrifugal blowers? Or are the new blowers more responsive?

12. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    Nice car. Keep this one going in a straight line this time:D. The car Don Bowles is running was bought from a member on here, almost finished. :) Good luck.

13. Smav347

Smav347 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    The trick is to match the converter, rear gear, and camshaft profile. A transbrake helps too, I mean, it's got to leave when mashed at WOT with 1,000-1,200 hp on tap, I mean, if it doesn't something's wrong. The way I'm going to get it to launch on such small tires is through the MSD 7531 ignition box' timing ramps and controls. It should bust a 1.30 60 ft, hopefully.

Since the blower is tied to the engine with a belt, I would imagine there would be no "lag," that was typically a turbo thing, but even lag with that power adder has seemed to go away with today's incredibly advanced turbo systems. I know that older centrifugal blowers had wacky step-up ratios that would come on like turning on a light, but that hasn't been a problem that I've heard about in years. The cool thing about a centrifugal is they don't poop-out like a roots, the higher you can rev the more power they make.

Here's a link to some of the NMRA cars that run similar centrifugal combos. The third class into the Q3 vid, the EFI Renegade class, is what this engine is desinged around. They cut 1.27 -1.32 60 ft times.

http://video.stangtv.com/featured_landing.php?reset=true

14. Smav347

Smav347 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Ha ha, yea this one's been going straight for a year now, knock on wood. We went 6.20s to the 8th mile a bunch with my old nitrous motor, now were stepping it up.

Yes, I know about the Bowles car, I remember talking with the guy while he was doing the cage. I was trying to talk him into running NMCA with it in Super Street.

Speaking of the Bowles car, the builder at Roush, Ben Mens, has been in desperate need of a front spoiler like the one on my car. Does anybody know where he can get one? He says he's been dealing with Charles at the Maverick Connection, but it's been months since he's ordered it. I mean it's a Roush car, I would think you would want your product on the car.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  15. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Try here...I have bought about 3 of these spoilers over the years. They fit okay out of the box.
    http://www.masracing.biz/catalog/i255.html
    The one I have on my car now is a modified one. It fits perfect but it did take some work to get it there.

Last edited: May 12, 2009