Gas Tank or ????

Discussion in 'Technical' started by jeremy, Dec 19, 2002.

1. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    If the car was just at a point where it would run, I would be sooo much more motivated to work on it.

It doesn't get gas to the carb. I have already changed the fuel pump, and I thought that fixed it...It sucked fuel for a while, but when I pulled the lid to the carb up, the level wasn't even hittting the float, so it wasn't sucking enough. Again, now it won't pull any gas from the tank.

I find myself with so little time on the weekends due to fixing my house, I don't have much time to work on it.

I was going to pull the line after the pump and stick it in a gas tank, but I really think the problem is a clog in the tank???

what is the general consenses here? I am thinking of just yanking the tank this weekend and check it out. Do you guys agree, or is there something up front other than the pump that can jack me up this way??? I don't think the needle is sticking in the carb, because itwas rebuilt not too long ago.

also, the gas gauge intermittently works. Sometime it will read, then suddenly it stops. sending unit??

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    IT could be a clog in the tank but I would check all the rubber hoses and clamps first. Follow the fuel line back from the pump to the tank. I cant remember if there are 2 or 3 sections of rubber hose. Also look at the steel lines. There could be a rust hole in them. A loose clamp or dry rotted hose and you will suck more air than fuel. YOu can check the tank by removing the fuel line from the back line, remove the gas cap, and blowing into the end of the hose. You will be able to tell if its clogged. Be carefull not to get any gas in your mouth, it definately dont taste like chicken.

3. mark_b

mark_b Member

Vehicle:
    73 all original 302 2d red blk int. 72,302.2dr. green and 71 200ci. 2d green
    I just went through a similar problem. The carb wasn't getting gas. So I blew the lines out. Blew out the filter. Still nothing!. Blew the lines to the tank. Finally I had my son crank the beast with the fuel line disconnected and shoved in a glass bottle. The fuel pump was pumping! What the hell! Then I pulled the top of the carb off ( this is on a 200 ci , 6 cyl) and the float bowl valve was stuck in the closed position. The problem was the little brass vlave thinny with the tiny rubber cone on the end waz sticking in the "seat". Replaced it and FIXED!

Hope this helps...

4. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    would be nice if it just the carb, I will get over my laziness, and report back on Monday.