70 Maverick upgrade questions

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Maverick_70, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Maverick_70

Maverick_70 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    A little info about my car before reading:
    1969.5(technically 1970), converted to a 302 4 years ago(200 I-6 orig.), has A/C, manual steering, 67 Mustang 4 piston manual disc brakes, 68 Mustang 8 inch rear(wider but works with current wheel---gives wider rear track--possibly less understeer as a result) with 3.55 gears(was 3.00 orig.), C4 automatic, and has been converted to a floor shift.

I am thinking about replacing the gas tank in my 70 Maverick. I am wondering if a 69 or 70 Mustang tank will work(Mustang tank is a drop-in but has larger capacity)? I would prefer a new tank over a cleaned used one, but there doesn't seem to be any new Maverick tanks available.

Another question: As far as the sending unit goes, are there new replacements and if so, will they work with after market gauges?

How about an electric fuel pump? Will they work with the older sending unit/carb setup? Where does it get positioned(ie:rear next to gas tank or near engine comparment)?

I am also going to switch to an electric fan. I want something that has a thermostatically controlled switch as well as a manual on/off option. Any recommendations? Pusher or Puller fan?

I have been considering a manual trans conversion lately, but I am not sure about the cost or wether it is feasible. I would like a 5 spd with a hydraulic clutch, and efficient. If I can't get a manual trans, any idea where to buy new stainless auto trans cooling lines?

I am also interested in a roll-cage and subframe connectors. Nothing too racey, just something that will increase my safety(ie: 4 point). Does anyone know where I could find either of the roll cage or sub frame connectors, and if so, how much?

Again, in an effort to make my car safer I would like to get new seat belts(originals are 4 piece and feel very unsafe). Would anyone have an idea where to buy new seat belts that fit properly in the 70 Maverick?

Last one I promise:) . I am still debating where I will stick to my original plan of building a 331(seems more convenient) or go with a 408 Windsor. I actually did a test fit today with my 351 block and head to see how my Hedman headers will fit. After the test fit, I see no way of getting the Hedmans to work even with cutting the towers. But, if I were to cut the towers, what headers will fit? And is it unlikely to use a manual trans with a 351?

If you could answer even one of my questions, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks for reading.

2. Maverick_70

Maverick_70 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I am surprised no one has been able or willing to answer my questions.

Is there anyone who is willing to help me out by answering just 1 of my many questions?

Thanks in advance.:)

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    A Mustang tank will not just drop in. It is bigger diameter.

I dont know if there are replacements for the 70 but there are companies that can rebuild what you have. Search the internet or contact Doug Bauer. He had one done years ago. DougBauer@TexasGrabber.com

Electric pumps work just fine although I have found them to be very noisey. They should be mounted as close to the tank as possible.

Electric fans work pretty good. I've read the puller is more effecient although I have a pusher set up and it works just fine. Summit has a catalog full of them. Just get the biggest that will physically fit with the largest cfm rating.

Manual conversion cost is directly proportional to your scavenging abilities. Only you can say whether its feasible or not. Try contaction http://www.rightstuffdetailing.com/flash_intro.htm for stainless trans lines.

Almost any upholstry shop can put new webbing on your belts. If you have good fabrication skills, you can make almost any later style belt system work.

4. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    Grabber71 put a 351w in his Maverick. Didn't have to touch the shock towers. He used 302 headers & had to tap the headers with a balpeen hammer to clear, Said it took lots of test fits to get it right. It is very tight & does look awesome. I asked about changing plugs. He said he pulls the valve covers & can change them in 45 minutes.

5. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I pull the valve covers when accessing the spark plugs on my 302 as well ... plenty of room that way ... makes it a piece of cake.

6. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    the electric fuel pumps are noisy, not sure i'd want one in my street car. i use a puller electric fan, got it from summit. make sure it will fit between the radiator and the fan. i bought my frame connectors from summit. they don't list them in there catalog, but they do carry them. get a free catalog by calling 1-800-230-3030 or signing up at summitracing.com. i'm getting them installed next week along with a roll bar being built by a local guy. ask around, go to a dragstrip in your area, or a cruise and ask where others got their bars built. most are eager to offer any info. i had a 351w in my 71. the headers used had no name on them, but the tubes were pretty small. i think tubular automotive makes a header for a 351w in a maverick.it's definitely a lot less hassel using a 302 without making any shock tower mods and you can stroke it to 347. my 308 runs 12.14 at the local track. hooker makes a good set of headers for a 302 in a maverick. check the archives for other info.:)

7. Maverick_70

Maverick_70 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info.(y)

8. MaverickGrabber

MaverickGrabber MaverickGrabber1972

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber 393w
    i have 302 Hedmans on mine ..with man steering ...had one tube on each header cut and rebent ...i hear all the time from the mustang guys that the stock type 351w block...... run warm going 408w and there not good for even weekend driving the sportsman block has freeze plugs on the block under the head surface...with it you could go 408w and drive it every day ....so i wen't with the 393w very happy with it

9. Maxx Levell

Maxx Levell Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mav 2 dr, 1971 Mav 2 dr...thanks Old Guy!
    Where Are You???

Maverick 70,

Where are you located? I may be able to help you out on a roll-bar setup.

Later

10. Maverick_70

Maverick_70 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I live in California, about 65 miles north of Los Angeles.

11. night

night Member

Vehicle:
    77 2 door maverick 77 2 door maverick part car
    gas tank replacement

Ok guys I really need your help on this one. I have been coming to this site for some time now. alot of the info on here I have found very useful. in fact I am not a mechanic in any way. give a computer that is a differnt story. I really need a gas tank for a 77 mave. I need a replacement like last month. I have been driving with a fuel cell in the trunk. yea like that is a bright idea.

the question that I have. is there any other car that I can use for a replacemnet gas tank..........

12. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    The tanks are reproduced for the 75-77 models.