Big Block building

Discussion in 'Technical' started by brainsboy, May 25, 2006.

1. brainsboy

brainsboy Member

I have ate, slept, and breathed windsors for years now. Its really the only motor I build and know. I have always wanted a Big Block car. Not considering if it will fit or not, my question is, Im thinking about doing a Big Block ford but I dont know anything about the different types and their performance capabilitys. Excluding anything exotic could someone explain the differences in a 390, 428, 429, 460? Other then cubic inch size what advantages do some have over others for building power.

2. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    390 and 428 are one in the same, with only minor changes. that block can be stroked really big and make a lot of power, but i prefer it for torque/towing setups. there was a guy with a stroked 428 in a mav out here who ran low 10 and was a really hot car. personally though id look at the 429 if i was going bigblock. the 460 is great, but again to me a towing block. JMO on that though. they can all be built to haul booty:yup:

3. 1972Grabber

1972Grabber Always Broke

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    Ford 385-Series Family

Although there were several variations to the engines of the 385-series family, only two displacements were available---the 429 cubic inch and the 460 cubic inch. Both were introduced in 1968 and lasted until 1973. These engines were heavier and larger than Ford's predecessor---the FE Family.

429 (Thunderjet) two-bolt main bearing cap
    Bore and Stroke 4.36x3.59 cast-iron crankshaft
    forged-steel connecting rods with 3/8 inch rod bolts
    cast-aluminum pistons hydraulic lifter camshaft
    2.08 inch/1.66 inch intake/exhaust valves non-adjustable rocker arms
    cast-iron intake manifold 4 barrel or 2 barrel carburator

Was available in Ford and Mercury automobiles

429 Cobra Jet
    Four-bolt main engine block (with exception to some early 1970 models).
    Larger cylinder heads---2.25 inches/1.72 inches intake/exhaust.
    Rocker arms were stamped steel 1.73:1 ratio with sled type fulcrums, threaded screw-in rocker studs and pushrod guide plates.
    The rocker arms on the 429 cubic inch Cobra Jet were also adjustable prior to 1969.

Cobra Jet used a Rochester Quadrajet carburetor atop a spread-bore cast-iron manifold.

429 Super Cobra Jet
    4 bolt main engine blocks Forged aluminum pistions Mechanical lifter camshaft Adjustable rocker arms 780cfm Holley four-barrel carb

429 Boss
    All aluminum cast cylinder heads Cresent type combustion chambers Intake/Exhaust valves of 2.28in and 1.90inch Exhaust valves are "D" shaped
    4 oil galleries Identified by casting 429HP on block Higher iron nodularity content with thicker cylinder walls
    2 Versions of the 429 Boss existed, they were 820-S & 820-T

Forged steel cross-drilled crankshaft Forged aluminum pistons Aluminum dual plane manifold w/735cfm Holley four barrel carb

429 Nascar
    Larger Outboard bolts in #1 main bearing cap. Deck height was grooved for O rings. Larger machined refliefs for exhaust pushrods Longer street rods, than the Boss 429-820S type Some blocks had full hemi design, others crescent type Stainless steel intake valves Magnesium valve covers and intake manifold.

Produced from 1968 to 1996. Available in Ford, Mercury and Lincoln. Same as 429, but with longer stroke. (3.85 inch) During its earlier years, pre 1973, horsepower was rated at 365. After 1972 horsepower ranged from 208 to 275. Intake/exhaust valves are 2.08/1.66

Intake/exhaust valves for the Police Interceptor 460 heads (from 1973-'74) measure 2.19/1.66

The Ford 385 engine family was the American Ford Motor Company's final big block V8 engine design, replacing the Ford MEL engine and gradually superseding the Ford FE engine family. This design was a departure from the paradigm utilizing thinwall casting methods and a skirtless block to reduce weight.

It was available in three sizes in production vehicles; 370 in³ (6.1 L) in trucks only, 429 in³ (7.0 L) and 460 in³ (7.5 L). A 512 in³ (8.4 L) crate engine was also available from Ford SVO.

The engines were sold between 1968 and 1997. They were manufactured in Lima, Ohio. This manufacturing line replaced the Ford MEL engine line in the Lima plant. The FE engines, manufactured in Dearborn, continued in production but saw reduced applications and volume as the 385 engine gradually took over in the Ford line up. The FE went out of production in 1976, leaving the 385 as the only big block.

Besides service in large luxury cars in the 1970s and in trucks throughout its life, the 385 series engine was also popular in motorhomes, marine, and industrial applications. Over 50 varieties were produced in any given year.

As with the FE line of motors Ford also offered a Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet versions of the 429. The Cobra Jet , rated at 370hp, was equipped with a Rochester Quadra Jet carb, larger cam, 11.3 to 1 compression and a special set of cylinder heads. The Super Cobra Jet , rated at 375hp, had a 4 Bolt main block, a Holley carb, and a larger mechanical cam. In 1971 the CJ motor also used a 4 bolt main block. The truth of the matter is these motor were actually in 440 to 460 Hp range. The true horsepower ratings were understated to throw off the insurance companies (common practice in that era.)

4. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    i was thinking the cobra jet and SCJ versions with 4 bolt main stock. the 460 is two bolt like the standard 429. not that you couldnt just mod that block to 4 bolt. also that casting is a little thinner walled than the SCJ, but thats not really a big issue. for racing i prefer the bored out and shortened stroke for higher rpm to the longer stroked engine most people are going to. again though, JMO