BORGENSON Power Steering Installation

Discussion in 'Technical' started by COMETIZED, May 25, 2016.

1. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    To Whom it may concern:

Regarding the Borg Power Steering install.. We shimmed the UCA's also for more caster and while we were 'there' Bill CENTERED the Upper Control Arms by making a 'jig' on a cnc and verified the Dead Center Position.. They were NOT CENTERED originally so we rotated the shafts to get them right.Additionally we shimmed the front mounting
    bolt of the UCA one quarter inch to provide for approximately three additional degrees of Caster.
    We then screwed the ' control valve eliminator' on the center link and noticed that the Center to Center distance on the Center Link was ' shorter' than that of a Manual Center Link we had on hand . This would result in the center link not being ' centered ' in the vehicle and the Idler Arm NOT being parallel with the Pitman Arm . With the steering box and the Idler Arm being mounted in the vehicle we measured the center to center distance between the Idler arm Pivot Point and the Sector Shaft and come up with 25-1/4" inches.

We then set the Center to Center distance on the Center Link by screwing the Control Valve Eliminator on ONLY far enough to achieve the 25-1/4" distance . There was still plenty of thread engagement , the only modification required was to drill a NEW HOLE for the Roll Pin.

We hope this information is helpful to anyone out there involved in this type project. I was originally in touch MOJO (Everett) IMG_0630.JPG IMG_0572.JPG IMG_0592.JPG IMG_0592.JPG IMG_0648.JPG IMG_0624.JPG IMG_0629.JPG IMG_0631.JPG IMG_0638.JPG IMG_0643.JPG IMG_0644.JPG We have attached a few photos of our work for a visual aid.

Cometized

(Chip)

mojo, 71maverick361 and Krazy Comet like this.
  2. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Nice job Chip! I may need to fab a plate like you have done. My rag joint bolt heads barely touches the foam isolator to the firewall floorplate. So far, it is holding out, but, if/when I get any exhaust or heat I will copy your work. What did you use to make the circle in the plate? I never found a roll pin in my column. Following this conversion to see what improvements I can make to my setup. Glad your posting your work for all to see.

How many shims did you install in those arms? I plan on 2 -1/8th. shims in mine. Right now I have approx. 2 deg. caster -- not quite enough...

3. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Everett:
    The hole was accomplished by using a " 4" inch diameter Hole Saw" then Bill enlarged the hole additionally with a
    Die Grinder to fit a four inch piece of exhaust pipe when 'angled' (See photo) .. Copy of IMG_0631.JPG Also.. the Roll Pin is
    NOT in the steering column.. its in the Center Link..It was necessary to Re-Drill the roll pin hole when we set the
    Length of the Center Link ( Measure Center to Center from Sector Shaft to Idler Arm Pivot Point ) . IMG_0749.JPG Then .. make the Center to Center Distance the same on the Center Link ..this may involve unscrewing the Control Valve Eliminator slightly IMG_0750.JPG then it may be necessary to Drill a NEW ROLL PIN HOLE in the Center Link IMG_0751.JPG when finished , we Still had plenty of 'thread engagement' ..This keeps the Idler Arm and Pitman Arm parallel and the Center Link "centered" in the vehicle when going STRAIGHT . As for the " SHIM" we installed a
    Quarter Inch Shim behind the Front Upper A-Arm Mount. IMG_0747.JPG Also see photo of the "completed" column
    IMG_0741.JPG It appears like we have gained about two to three degrees of Caster by this work. The final alignment will be performed on a rack and that will determine if we were successful with what we've done.
    Hope this information helps anyone out there contemplating an installation like this. Bill Roberts is the man that figured all this geometry out . Incidentally Everett, my email address is cameocarclub@yahoo.com . Send me your and we can communicate .
    Cometized
    (Chip)

4. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Thanks for all the updates Chip! Bill did a nice job on that column mod. If I have any issues w/ mine admitting fumes/heat in the cockpit I will try replicate his. I never seen the hole for the roll pin, I was looking for it in the column. Have put about 5 to 600 miles since and have not had any issues. I will install a pin in mine next week when I work on the suspension. Don't know how I missed it when I pulled the old stuff off. Is that a safety issue not having it in place? I have not experienced any negative handling issue that I am aware of. Thanks for pointing this out..
    email .. address forwarded to you and any one else wishing to share experience w/ this conversion...
    comet148693@gmail.com

5. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet

Hi Everett:
    We've covered a lot of territory on this Borg thing .. just to confirm.. the hole for the Roll Pin is in the Center Link..
    NOT the column. Sorry I've confused things. If you have a "Manual" steering Center Link to begin with .. The Roll
    Pin would not be an issue. It only pertains to a Power Steering Center Link and the elimination of the 'control valve setup ' on the Pitman Arm End . This procedure should improve your handling even more . I'll be in touch. See ya'
    Cometized
    (Chip)