Out of State Title for Ga Classic Cars

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by coutangman, Aug 27, 2016.

1. coutangman

coutangman Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Comet GT, '72 Sprint Mustang Sportroof, '73 Mustang conv, '69 Cougar XR7 conv.
    Has anyone else had trouble getting a title in another state for a non titled classic car with nothing but a bill of sales and a tax receipt from GA? I had both for my 1972 Comet GT and made 8 different trips,(3 in Fl and 5 in NC) and finally secured a bond to title the car. Neither state would accept only a bill of sales and kept insisting on a title, even though Ga doesn't issue titles for older cars. Then, they insisted on a notorized bill of sales and an affidavit of previous ownership even though the bill of sales was a state of Ga one with the state stamp on it. It had no place to be notorized because Ga does not require it. I gave up with Fl and hoped when I moved to NC it would be better. I even had the vin verification done by a state trooper before going in for the title. At least in NC you can get a surety bond to get a title. That is what I had to do, finally. The girl at the title office said I should receive a title in the mail within the next 4 weeks. We'll see .

Jim

2. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Jim:
    I purchased a 70 Maverick from Alabama about a year ago and had the same deal .. Bill of Sale Only .. The seller
    signed the bill of sale .. dated it ... sent to me .. and presented to Florida people here .. No problem . I got the Florida
    Title in my name same day I visited their offices. I can relate to any ' trepidation' you may have experienced when the seller didn't have a TITLE .. I was nervous and called Alabama people and they assured me . Everything worked out !

Cometized
    (Chip)

3. coutangman

coutangman Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Comet GT, '72 Sprint Mustang Sportroof, '73 Mustang conv, '69 Cougar XR7 conv.
    I also purchased the Maverick Sprint from GA with just a bill of sales. Not even as much documentation as I had with the Comet GT. I was lucky and the person at the DMV let it slide into the Florida system. Go figure! The others I have dealt with since have been nothing short of idiots who would not budge. You were lucky, Chip.

Jim

4. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    Why doesn't GA issue Titles for older cars? A Bill of Sale is not the same thing as a Title.

5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    if you lived in Ga., all I would need is your vin# and I could get your car reg. in my name and a tag...go figure...:huh:

6. mvw66gt

mvw66gt Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Comet GT
    I bought a 63 Galaxie from GA with no title and I got a title in WV. I did have to have a paper from the state of GA showing it wasn't registered and no title was required. Once I had that WV said nomproblem and gave me a title. - Matt

7. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    I am glad you got it squared away, now you need to have it ready to drive when the title shows up in the mail...

8. coutangman

coutangman Member

Vehicle:

I had the document from the tax commissioner's office in Barrow County, GA that said no title was required. It had a phone number on it. They called the number and were put on hold, 15th caller. I waited for an hour for GA to respond. They never did. That was in both FL and NC. I gave up and went home both times.

Jim

9. coutangman

coutangman Member

Vehicle:
    Ken,
    At least I got your Sprint done so that you will never have this problem. As to the Comet GT, I'm working on it. Got some things to finish on the others first.

Jim

10. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    Yup I went and got the title transferred right away they printed me a title while I waited...

11. RASelkirk

RASelkirk Retired!

Vehicle:
    Sonic Blue '72 w/LS-1, 200R4, 9" w/3.50
  12. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi again Jim :
    Before I purchased the car in Alabama .. I called the DMV in Alabama and they sent me a form explaining the
    process for registering an Out of State car in Florida.. Then I visited the DMV HERE in Florida and showed them
    the document and got THEIR reassurance on registering the car in Florida and receiving a Florida Title in MY
    name . ... THEN I called the Alabama dude ... made an appointment to SEE the car .. Drove up with a Car Dolly
    .. Inspected the car .. Agreed on the selling price .. PAID the man .. and Towed in back home to Florida. I was a
    bit apprehensive about the ' bill of sale ' and No Title too..until I spoke the the DMV offices. Don't understand WHY
    a State of this Union can't or won't provide a TITLE for any vehicle ?? Anyway .. it worked out !
    Are YOU happy with the Maverick you picked up ? Just curious .
    Cometized
    (Chip)

13. coutangman

coutangman Member

Vehicle:
    Chip,

The Maverick was a Sprint to go with my already Mustang Sprint. I was happy with the car, but never finished it. Later I purchased the '72 Comet GT and a '71 Maverick Grabber. The Grabber had a title. I sold the Grabber to my friend, Ken to purchase a Pinto Sprint, completing the collection of Sprints. When I moved to NC, I down sized and sold the Maverick Sprint to Ken and later the Pinto Sprint to a collector in Maryland. I don't have room for 8 classic cars like I had in Fl, so I am down to 4. The Comet GT is one I want to finish. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Didn't want to put a lot of money into it until I actually had a title. Maybe now, I can move forward with it.

Jim

14. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi again Jim:
    Glad to hear you've kept the Comet . They're neat little cars and have a great potential as I'm sure you realize.
    I still have mine and took it on the Hot Rod POWER TOUR of 2015 last year . Four Thousand four hundred and
    fifteen miles from my shop .. made the run .. and back home ..It was a real hoot ! I converted to FI and got 22 MPG and didn't burn a drop of oil . Great Tour ( You should try one ) I missed THIS year since I had to give it a pass. If you need anything for a Comet lemmeno and I'll do what I can to help out .
    Cometized
    (Chip)

15. coutangman

coutangman Member

Vehicle:
    Chip,

Hot Rod Power Tours are surely challenging, for sure. Did the 2011 one in the gold pony. 103 degrees when Diane and I pulled into Montgomery Al and the same temp through Tn. Almost sold this Comet to your son several years ago when you folks were at the Silver Springs show. Just couldn't do it, though. There's something about the little car that makes me keep it.

Jim