3g or 6g?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by safado, Jul 22, 2016.

1. safado

safado Member

Hey fellas, I removed the 1g alt of the comet in preparation of swapping in a 3g with a V belt setup.. the issue, like in the tech section thread, is that the V groove pulley hits the case before any thread of the shaft protrudes through the pulley... What have you guys done, besides going serpentine, to fix it.. at first I thought maybe this might be a 6g alt since it's for a 03-04 cobra??

Added pic..

Attached Files:

2. safado

safado Member

I think that's maybe my issue.. from what I can tell that's a 6g alternator..if so, has anyone ever use that with a V belt?

3. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Are the 6G regulated by a internal regulator or the vehicles PCM??

4. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hey Krazy:
    Some are regulated by the PCM and some are regulated by the Internal Regulator like a 3G is . If it has a solid
    grey voltage regulator its regulated by the voltage regulator and NOT the PCM . The 105 AMP version of these
    alternators can be found on late 90's to early 2000's Mustangs 6 Cylinders and probably some among other Ford
    Vehicles from this time period. The Yellow and White Wire from the stock 6G harness goes to the Battery Side of the starter solenoid , and the Green /Red wire goes to the Green/Red wire that can be found on the stock or original equipment regulator plug. We are installing one on my Daughter Kim's 72' Maverick at this time. Bill noticed that the wire colors have not changed since early 70's to present on the Green/Red wire setup. This should make the Alternator light function in the dash gauge . It definitely works on a 3G and the 6G should not be any different . We'll know for SURE when we fire this puppy up ! (soon ! )
    Cometized
    (Chip)

5. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I do not recall my 3g having that raised lip on the housing around the drive shaft. What if you removed the front housing and ground the lip flush with the case, would that do it?

6. safado

safado Member

The alternator in the pic is a 6G...I ordered a new Delco Remy 3g for a Taurus 3.0 12v.. I'm just trying to see if I can make it work with the v- belt pulley

7. safado

safado Member

You going serpentine?

8. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Safado:
    We've noticed that the more AMPs the alternator is designed for , the harder it is to TURN it .. that's why we go
    Serpentine on our cars. V-Pulleys ( especially the nice shiny aluminum ones ) tend to wear badly in the V-groove areas and it causes slippage with the belts and it also wears the belt itself . Back in the 70's .. if you had an alternator that produced more than 70 amps they ran DOUBLE BELTS . Serpentine is the way to go if you're stepping the AMPs up .
    Cometized
    (Chip)

9. safado

safado Member

You going to us the stock alternator mounting brackets or rigging up a tensioner?

10. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Safado: We used stock brackets on ONE of the cars a '71 and some mid-90's pulleys but on the last two, we have
    made our own Engine Mount Plate from half-inch thick aluminum stock and placed the accessories where WE wanted them to be for even distribution of the belt over EACH pulley . I've attached a picture of the latest one on
    my Daughters 70' Maverick . I have one also on my Comet . You may notice the engraving on the upper RH side
    of the bracket . We thought it to be a nice touch. We're going to be offering these mounting plates for 302 and 5.0 engines within a couple of months for sale and we'll have more details then. The pictures that are attached are for the 72' but it's since been POLISHED to a mirror finish and looks great . I'll try to send more photos of it installed. Lemmeno if this is something you may be interested in later. Thanks,
    Cometized
    (Chip) IMG_0969.JPG IMG_0970.JPG

William623 likes this.