61 comet wagon 2 door

Discussion in 'Mavericks/Comets in the Movies and Other Media' started by fullcm, Oct 28, 2022.

1. fullcm

fullcm Doug

Vehicle:
    74 maverick
    Saw the Pilot episode of the Partridge Family and the Mom had a 61 Comet 2d station wagon (ok the show is goofy but there are some decent cars in these old shows). This looked really neat, I checked around on line and only found photos of the 4D wagons.
    Were the 2 door station wagons somewhat rare?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    I've seen early Falcon 2dr wagons, but if I've seen the Comet version, don't remember. Not exactly my kind of vehicle, till around '80 I never considered anything that didn't have a V8.

Here's one I bet ya haven't seen. Comchero.

comchero.JPG

comchero2.JPG

Shorty likes this.
  3. krelboyne

krelboyne Remember

There is a fellow that I see at summer car shows with a 1965 Cometchero here in Oregon.

Krazy Comet likes this.
  4. fullcm

fullcm Doug

Vehicle:
    74 maverick
    Now that is something! Never seen one. I did see a movie once that had a late 60's Mercury Pickup, basically just a Ford F-100, I read up on it and it was only sold in Canada so maybe that is the case with the Comet wagons back then also.

5. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    This Comchero is a Johnny come lately 2022 model, started life as a '62 Falcon. Back in spring, a guy I know bought a Comet body that had been hit hard in rear. Had all the pieces, incl dash to transform from Falcon to Comet.

Yes Ford trucks were also sold as Mercury. In many small towns there were not enough sales to support both Ford & Mercury dealerships in same area.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  6. Powerband

Powerband Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    ---- 1976 Comet --- 1974 Maverick- - '61 Comet T'Bolt Six ---- 'quite a few projects ...
    There's an episode of Twilight Zone with Telly Savalas, an evil doll and a '60's Comet Woody Wagon.
    Have you noticed car shows lately and whats getting very popular. Originally it was homemade traditional Hot Rods and true antiques' then American Muscle Cars had their time, then the Rat Rods for a few hours, then old barely drivable Pickups, now even the more-door - longroof station wagon is gaining popularity! .

... and did u know':

the '60 and '61 Comet were not a Mercury. The late 50's Ford Motor Company had Mercury - Edsel - Lincoln dealers and when the Edsel line was ended in'59 the "MEL" dealers became Mercury - Lincoln - Comet franchises. It wasn't until 1962 that the Comet was folded into the Mercury boilerplate.

My '61 Comet has no Mercury label on its VIN, it's a Ford Comet

[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG] .

[​IMG] .[​IMG]

the '74 Maverick has Comet front clip and hood to fit 250 SC plumbing, making it a Comerick or Maveret ??

[​IMG] . [​IMG] . [​IMG]

have fun