Better motor mounts

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Falcenac, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Falcenac

Falcenac Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 Maverick 71 Comet G.T. 76 Comet 4 door 61 Falcon x2 60 Frontenac
    Any one know if there is better motor mounts available than stock or who makes best quality ones?
    I am doing a 351 swap should be 500 horse my 306 destroyed a couple of stock mounts before it destroyed itself.

2. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Could just run bolts through to "pin em".. or find a poly version with interlocking shell design. Pinning to full solid is easier than it sounds if you burn the rubber off and use washers. Also allows you to more easily adjust engine height too.

Might be some newer higher durometer rubber ones like made for bump stops and strut rods out there nowadays too but seems like splitting smaller hairs at that point.

Personally speaking, if I was planning on better traction behind 500 horsepower?.. I'd be going full solid or stiff Poly at the least. Twisty mushy engine mounts are for improving NVH and softening the "hit on the tire". With 500 horsepower on tap "hitting the tire" is the whole entire point anyways, right?

Seems doubtful this cars primary goal will ever be directly aimed at NVH. Plus, you need all the extra insurance you can get when that big motor's trying to somersault right out of engine bay. ;)

3. Falcenac

Falcenac Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 Maverick 71 Comet G.T. 76 Comet 4 door 61 Falcon x2 60 Frontenac
    Pretty much what I was thinking. Will pin them for now, new motor built for nos but wanted to stay away from the bottle till I cage car, 500 horse should be good enough for now.
    Just want to get car up and running for this season already have one long term project (61 Falcon) don't want two at once.
    When car gets a cage want to set back motor some and just use plates at that time.

4. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    That's an expensive statement!!!