C4 Trans Pump & Stator

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Nieder17, May 6, 2024.

1. Nieder17

Nieder17 Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Ford Maverick
    I am rebuilding the transmission on my 1974 Maverick to prepare for swapping my 250 for a 347 stroker. I was hoping someone could help me on this because I have looked in the Chilton book for the Maverick, the c4 rebuild book and online and I haven't found any information on it. I was putting a new bushing in the pump body and when I picked up the pump from the press, two steel balls fell out of the pump. Does anyone know what holes these go in and why they are not discussed anywhere? I cannot even find a diagram of the pump so I can try to figure it out on my own. I know the stator should have two balls and a spring, but the star washer is still intact, so I don't think it is from there but who knows. If you guys have any info, your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Neither of the Ford factory shop manuals for '71 or '74 show check balls in the pump.

Maybe received modification in a past rebuild?

3. Nieder17

Nieder17 Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Ford Maverick
    Thank you for the reply...I hope that is the case. What would be the purpose of that? More pressure? This was my wife's grandma's car so unless she had a secret life, there was no racing going on. You had to turn the A/C off in this thing to merge on the highway.