efi swap

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by 1stMaverick, May 4, 2015.

1. 1stMaverick

1stMaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Mavrerick
    Hi i am getting a computer and harnness on a trade and wonted to swap it over into the maverick. Its from a 1986 mustang gt. Whould that work? And what all do i need to convert over? I have intake and fuel rails and maf with injetors. Thanks

2. Static

Static Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick 2 Door
    Fuel pump for efi

3. 71Mavrk

71Mavrk Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber Clone, 1971 Maverick project
    I believe the '86 EFI is a speed density unit and not the perferred pick for an EFI swap.

Micah

hectorsalinasx likes this.
  4. 55crownvic

55crownvic Member

Vehicle:
    76 Small Bumpered Maverick(sold), 691/2 Maverick, 55 Ford Club Sedan, 65 Fairlane 500 Hardtop, 1960 Galaxie Club Sedan
    Dont know how much I can help, I just did mine, BUT, it's an 89 Mustang 5.0 HO with mass air, not speed density as yours is, plus I went the easy way, AND the expensive way, by buying a Ron Francis harness, basically a plug and play setup. Very easy as far as the wiring goes, you will still have to deal with the EFI fuel pump, for that I used a PA pump from Tanks, Inc, installed into the stock 70 maverick tank, ran steel brake line for the supply and return lines, with a filter above the rear axle. Mine has a T5-5 speed and a hydraulic clutch. Hope some of this helps. IMG_2059.JPG

Krazy Comet and 71gold like this.
  5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    I went the easy way, AND the...MORE...expensive way. MSD Atomic EFI.

Attached Files:

palser64 and Static like this.
  6. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    It being speed densety(SD) isn't a problem, can be converted mass air... That's only seven wires(five added, two moved in ECM connecter, MAF meter and ECM), real problem is the layout of the '86 harness(I had one)... It's a one year only design, '87 & '88 SD are far more user friendly... In '89 mass air became std so is harness most use... I've heard a lot of whining about the '90-'93 being difficult to work with because of added air bag wiring, but that's probably mostly coming from the clueless...

BTW the stock SD '87 & '88 Stangs ran stronger than the later MAF versions, generally worth a ΒΌ second in the quarter mile vs stock MAF... If engine has cam that idles less than 16" vac, MAF is absolutely the system to use...

7. 1stMaverick

1stMaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Mavrerick
    Thanks for the help come to find out its from an 89 not 86. I have upper lower intake,mustang fuel rail, efi dis, maf with injetors. Is there anything i am missing besides efi intake fuel pump

8. jsmithink

jsmithink Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick, 1960 2 door Comet, 1961 4 door Comet
    Make sure you put in a fuel pump cut off switch. Don't forget you need high pressure fuel line from tank to fuel rail. Also need a return line back to the tank. It's not a difficult conversion, just time consuming - especially depending on how you do it. I stripped my complete harness down to eliminate all the crap I didn't need, ie emmissions, ac, etc.

When you decide you really want to start playing with it, I have an AFM PMS for sale :)

9. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Look around for a Explorer upper & lower intake, flow nearly as much as the GT-40 tubular and should be easy to find...