Shelf life on sealed weatherstripping

Discussion in 'Technical' started by nidus, Sep 25, 2017.

1. nidus

nidus Member

Vehicle:
    71 mercury comet gt, 75 CB550, 76 CB550
    My car came with lots of extras that the previous owner never got around to installing. I went through a box of parts and found the windshield and back window weatherstripping as well as the trunk one, all in their original packages and unopened. Does anybody have a clue on the shelf life of these items or am I better off repurchasing them in order to be safe. They are all from autokrafters and have sat for at least 1-2 years in a garage. Pics included though they are not very exciting

Attached Files:

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Dont know what the shelve life would be but I would not even give it a second thought about using those being that they have been sealed, no need to spend more money

nidus likes this.
  3. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Agreed, who is to say new purchases haven't been setting on the shelf for a year or two...

I've been tossing around trunk weather stripping that came with my car when I bought it almost five years ago... One of these days I'll get it installed...

junrai and nidus like this.
  4. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I had windshield rubber bought 01/2012 installed 05/2014 I've had no issue w/ it sealing. Also, installed door belt and window seals - no issues - so far.

nidus likes this.
  5. nidus

nidus Member

Vehicle:
    71 mercury comet gt, 75 CB550, 76 CB550
    Ok that's is good to hear, I figured they should be fine if still in the package. I do have other weather stripping ( I think for the small rear/ side windows but they are out of the package. I guess I will check them for any damage or deterioration. Thanks everybody!:victory:

6. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    if theyre still soft and flexible theyre still good when they feel dry and kinda hard theyre close to if not at the end of the life of the rubber BUT if its sealed I would say they would last longer than the nag theyre sealed in

7. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    I have stuff from 10 years ago that still looks as good as the day I bought it. :thumbs2:

8. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    If it was NOS and knocking on 40 years old I might pass but a couple years old, I would run with it.

In the rubber hose world it's all up to interpretation. In ideal conditions, temp controlled, minimized UV exposure etc... they say 5 to 8 years. That is the cover their butt answer because depending on the material a failure could be a bad thing. For hydraulic hose it's 40 quarters or 10 years in normal people speak. We have had some hydraulic hose that sat under a bench since 96, it was still soft and supple but we chose to discard it rather than take a chance.