stuck lifter?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by nick heckaman, Feb 4, 2005.

1. 74merc

74merc computer nerd

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    I dunno, but we've had a good discussion.

2. Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski Member

Vehicle:
    (3) 71's,two V-8's and one 200 cid
    For a follow up here's what happened:

After i put the 13 quarts of tranny fluid in the carb (yes it was right to the top) alot leaked out. But i tryed to start the car but it would just click, so i pulled my other Mav along side to give it a boost, hooked up the jumper cables and then tryed to turn it over again.It tryed to turn over so i just kept the key on, well the battery cable got hot and started the leaking tranny fluid on fire,Damn! I jump out of the car and slip in some tranny fluid on the driveway,down i go hitting my head on the door and getting a gash thats like 3" long and bleeding like a stuck pig,as i continue down my right arm hits the door still and breaks my arm.

The car is now fully ablaze! I crawl away from the car the best i can to try and stand up,can't see out of my left eye because of all the blood, but make it to the lawn and manage to stand up! Ther's smoke and flames everwhere!

The neighbor happen to see this and called the fire dept. then came over to see if he could hlep, in doing so he slipped in the tranny fluid and fell down and hurt his back.

Now the fire dept shows up,there's so much smoke they don't see us and can't tell which car is on fire, they hit the deck running with AFFF, and go right to my other mav thats still running but not on fire. They cover the car in foam, then they seen they did the wrong car so they hose down the real fire ,then see us, me bleeding real bad and my neighbor withering in pain in a pool of tranny fluid and AFFF foam, well they take care of him first because he's on the ground, but now the see all the tranny fluid and call in the County HazMat team,meanwhile up pulls a van from the Bay Area Air Quality Control Board and wants to know who caused this air pollution,they find out that it was me and give me a $2500.00 ticket for burning without a permit.

Now the HazMat team shows up and what to they do? hose it all down the storm drain ,fine with me. But not fine with the SF Bay Water Quality Board, they show up (because the air guy called them) and give me a ticket for illegally dumping hazardous waste down a storm drain. A $5000.00 fine and they in turn call the Dept. of Fish & Game because it seems like this could affect the breeding of some kinda fish. don't know what that fine will be yet.

But the goods news is the lifters no long make any noise!

3. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    and to think, this is all brought to you by the fine people at MMB. I cant stop laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dan

4. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick 2 dr. modified street cruiser, 72 Comet tube chassis drag car
    Gee Tom...aren't you glad you live in California:bouncy: ....I'm surprised you weren't fined for not having Material Safety Data sheets... and BTW...the neighbor that came over to help and hurt his back, his lawyer wants to know who handles your homeowners insurance.:banghead:

5. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick 2 dr. modified street cruiser, 72 Comet tube chassis drag car
    Gee Tom...aren't you glad you live in California:bouncy: ....I'm surprised you weren't fined for not having Material Safety Data sheets... and BTW...the neighbor that came over to help and hurt his back, his lawyer will be calling to find out who writes your homeowners insurance :banghead:

6. randytatum

randytatum Member

Vehicle:
    1973 comet, 2003 f150, 2011 mustang V6 1973 gran torino sport
    Wow this is almost 8 years old.... never knew tanny fuild can cause a fire like that and a 2500.00 fine and a gash on the forehead..:huh:

7. 74merc

74merc computer nerd

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    There are so many posts about ticking sounds coming from the engine that I propose this thread be stickied for all time.

Just too much good information to let it fade away.

8. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    You don't really believe that story???

You can't just dump tranny fluid down the carb for starters, after maybe 3-4qt it's just going to set in the intake... On any cylinders that have a open intake valve, fluid will fill that cylinder causing hydro-lock if you try to crank it...

You'll have a hard time igniting tranny fluid unless maybe its on a rag...

It will burn if hot enough, I had a under hood fire on my 5.0 T-Bird when a cooler line blew off and dumped fluid on the hot headers, I grabbed a towel and it was out in a couple good whacks... Yes I had a fire ext, but that stuff is a pain to clean up... Once I fixed the line I was on my way...

9. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Too funny! I guess I missed this post the first time around. :biglaugh: