Working on Disc conversion

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Dwarvey, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Dwarvey

Dwarvey Member

Vehicle:
    71 Ford Maverick
    Ok.........I know there are tons of posts about disc brake conversions. However..........I have 74 Maverick spindles and almost everything ( even Stainless flex lines ) What I lack is a proportioning valve.

I looked at the 74-77 disc valves at both Auto Krafters, and Melvins. $40 + difference in price.

The question is this. Has anybody used or is using one of these, and if so how well are they working for ya?

Thanks in advance for any advice or input.

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Never had to change the proportioning valve just used the drum drum valve and works just fine. Try it and if you dont like the idea of using it that way change it later

71gold likes this.
  3. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    You don't really need a prop-valve. '74s never had one (just a distribution block). My '73 has the front disc conversion and running the original distribution block.
    I'd install an aftermarket, adjustable unit before I'd mess with a factory unit. They're just not worth the hassle. They won't fit your existing brake line fittings.

The purpose of a prop-valve is to reduce rear wheel lock-up. Running wider/taller tires on the rear will help to reduce rear lock-up when you have discs up front and drums out back.

71gold likes this.
  4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    I have disc/disc. and no proportioning valve. as Crazy said...I run bigger tires on the rear, that's my bias...:thumbs2:

5. Dwarvey

Dwarvey Member

Vehicle:
    71 Ford Maverick
    Awesome........I'll prep the spindles this weekend.

6. Paul Masson

Paul Masson MCCI Atlantic Canada Rep

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber
    I went 4-wheel disc with a later Maverick disc/drum master, and retained the drum/drum block. I did however, plumb a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve "just in case" for the rear discs, as they are significantly larger than the front. If I find I need it, I'll dial it in. If it's not required, then no big deal. I am running the same size tire at all four corners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dwarvey

Dwarvey Member

Vehicle:
    71 Ford Maverick
    Thanks for the info. Great pics BTW I'll be breaking down the 74 spindles and starting to get them ready for install next weekend. For a while I'll be running my stock 4 lug rear drum setup. Rear discs will be on the 9" when it goes in.

I promise to post pics as I go and when done.

8. Dwarvey

Dwarvey Member

Vehicle:
    71 Ford Maverick
    Well as promised. I put some pics in my media section

Broke down the spindle set up got them cleaned up/painted and ready to install. The Differential in the background is a Ford 9" from a 1959 ranch wagon. I picked it up because the spring perches are in the right place for Mavericks or Comets. So less modification, but that will be dealt with later.

Paul Masson likes this.
  9. Dwarvey

Dwarvey Member

Vehicle:
    71 Ford Maverick
    Discs are installed, and the front end feels great. Even taking some time to do some other work here and there. Still a few things I'm not happy with so no pics yet. Ran into a slight snag.

It seems the calipers are the same for Maverick and Mustang II........the flex line connections........Not so much. Maverick uses 7/16" at the flex for both 71 drum, and 74 disc. Mustang uses 3/8". So I made new line runs and blew my distribution block. Fluid shot up through the switch almost a foot in the air. Got it cleaned out and working to drive, but still a bit more to go. Pics to follow soon.